Saturday, October 27, 2012

Conservative Americans and Canada

Walter, I am blessed to live in the hometown of the geat Wiscosnin/American Progressive Robert M. La Follette. He was one of the great Progressives here, as you may know. He believe in, worked for "open government," which is sadly lacking here now. I grew up on the Progressive traidion, heritage of my home state, Wisconsin. America, and sadly Wisconsin, too, my home state, badly need to return to recovery of its Progressive tradition. Is it an "act of God" that I have returned to these roots? I remind my friends here that we are heirs to La Follette, and the Progressive tradition, heritage, values, We ought to have the courage to preserve, apply, and transmit our heritage forward, now, again, in a second Progressive movement, which this hurting Republic so badly needs now. When I lived in Wiarton, Ontario, Canada, I often reflected on La Follette, for he, rightly, opposed the entry of the USA into World War I. Opposition to unjust wars is part of my Wisconsin heritage; it is amazing that I am now living in the hometown of this great Wisconsinite. Yes, I am truly Conservative at heart, as defined by Edmund Burke. Value, affirms, and transmit the values of the past forward. I have acted in the tradition (Burke again) of La Follette, and it is really, really ironic that now I am living in his hometown, at "ground zero" of this great Wisconsin value, contribution to this Republic. Keeping Faith with the past is the definition, essence, heart of Convervatism as it is historically understood. Yes, your old friend here in his own way is keeping faith with his heritage; Canada, God bless it, also keeps faith with the same heritage too!


Paul Rux, Ph.D.
Imagineer
www.paulrux.net

No comments: