Friday, November 9, 2012

Canadian and Wisconsin Progressive Values

Walter, Amen, Amen, Amen. One of the reasons why I love Canada dearly is its fairness. It factors fairness in its policies. This Republic does not any longer. It is time to restore fairness, the Progressive tradition here. What is amazing is Mt. Horeb, WI where we live is the hometown of Robert M. La Follette, the great Progressive at the turn of the 19th century into the 20thcentury. Is this some kind of fate, destiny? La Follette stood for fairness, US style; your humble servant here, in fact, grew up in this tradition. La Follette, for example, opposed US entry into WWI, rightly so. I recall walking in the park at night in Wiarton pondering on how I got there. My mind went back to La Follette and his stance for justice. Canada has had the advantage of the British connection, and with it cam acceptance of the NDP, UK Labor tradition as legitimate. Here the Wall Street vampires shouted down such stuff as un-American, anti-American. The USA has paid a price for it nativisitic break with the UK and Europe. Anyway, I wholly concur with the Holy Scriptures, which I seek to honor in my life. Yes, we are accountable in the final analysis. I hope I am a sheep, not goat. I need to get to bed after completing module 7 of 8 for the online university course, for which I am under contract. Thank you for your health considerations for me. I have noted them, and I have said to Jane I need some down time over the weekend. Anyway, I stand in the Progressive tradition. I recall reading the autobiography of E.C. Drury at U of T, who was a great Canadian Progressive. He lived in Barrier. His autobiography was Farmer Premier, if my memory serves me tonight. As I type this, I think of Simcoe, Barrier, Ontario, Canada, you and your family. You are blessed to live where you are. Meanwhile, I must weigh my duty here. Yes, as you observe, we are called. I want fairness here. Thank God Canada exists as an example of this fairness. It proves it can be done, starting with medical care for all. Thank you for the dialog. It is bedtime, now, for your old friend here in Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin, hometown of Progressive Robert M. La Follette. Paul

No comments: